- Ewing Township Board of Education
Ewing High School Family Commencement Experience Participation Process/Scheduling
***Please use student name when scheduling time-slot. Thank you***
Date: May 20, 2020
TO: Ewing High School Seniors and Families
FROM: Mr. Michael Nitti, Superintendent of Schools and Mr. Edward Chmiel, EHS Principal
RE: EHS Family Commencement Experience Process/Scheduling
First of all, our thoughts and hearts remain with the students of the Class of 2020. We share their sadness and disappointment with the way this public health crisis has so negatively impacted their senior year of high school.
Ewing High School is providing any interested family of a graduating senior the chance to participate in a Family Commencement Experience. We understand that it is important for many families to have the opportunity after thirteen years of schooling to see their child in formal attire walk across a decorated stage, have their name announced and receive a diploma. We wanted to provide that experience in a way that is as safe as possible, complying with all social distancing regulations and recommendations, during this challenging time. The pictures from this Family Commencement Experience will be featured in our Class of 2020 Video Graduation Ceremony debuting on our communication portals on June 18th at 7PM.
Please read the following overview carefully:
The Family Commencement Experience will be offered on the following eight dates:
- Wednesday, May 27th
- Thursday, May 28th
- Friday, May 29th
- Saturday, May 30th
- Wednesday June 3rd
- Thursday, June 4th
- Friday, June 5th
- Saturday, June 6th
There is the possibility of make-up dates being added due to inclement weather or other factors.
Family Commencement Experience sessions will be scheduled at 15 minute intervals beginning each morning at 9:00AM and ending at 8:00PM. It is important that families arrive on time prepared for the experience, so that the process may move efficiently.
Families are asked to schedule their session through the following link:
If you need any help or assistance in this process, or have questions, please contact Ms. Lawton at 538-9800x2127 or email@example.com for guidance.
As the experience takes place outside, if there is inclement weather, arranged family experiences will be rescheduled. Please monitor Instant Alert and our district website and Twitter feed for updates.
Overview of Family Commencement Experience Process (see diagrams below)
Strict social distancing practices will be enforced. All attendees should wear masks until entering the stage. There will only be three district staff members in the staging area. Non-family members should remain six feet apart. This process is contact-less for non-family members.
- Attendees are limited to the graduate and four family members. (strictly enforced)
- Attendees should arrive in one vehicle.
- At their scheduled time, attendees will drive to security at the new parking lot gate (previous site of the tennis courts), check in, and be waved to the staging area.
- Attendees must wait in their vehicle to be waved to the staging area.
- Families will park in the designated spot by the staging area.
- The graduate will report to the assigned Stage Entry Area and put on a gown/cap. Families will report to the designated Viewing/Videoing Area.
- The graduate’s name will be announced and walk on to the stage to a table and pick up a Ewing High School Diploma frame as the family views and a photo is taken.
- Families will then join the graduate for another photo on stage. Photos will be made available to the families by the district on a Google Drive.
- Graduates may keep their gowns and caps and potentially use them for pictures with non-attending family members. If any graduates want to decorate their caps, they are encouraged to do so and send a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will feature them in our commencement video and other communication portals. (Please send decorated cap photos by June 8th)
- Families will return to their car and depart through the gym gate.
We truly hope that this can be a rewarding, meaningful and enjoyable moment for our graduating seniors and their families.
(Prior to arrival please review the images/diagrams below)